Volvo XC60 R-Design (2010)
Volvo XC60 R-Design
Volvo has announced details on the latest car in the R-Design stable - the Volvo XC60 R-Design. Showcasing a series of sporty visual features, the R-Design package also adds a specially tuned sports chassis and sharper driving characteristics, enabling customers to enjoy the XC60's practicality together with more dynamic handling and distinctive styling.
The new Volvo XC60 R-Design was unveiled at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show and went into production in November 2009.
Dynamic driving characteristics
The new dynamic driving properties of the Volvo XC60 R-Design have been possible with the introduction of a stiffer chassis and stiffer damping. This has been achieved without impacting dramatically on ride comfort allowing passengers to continue to enjoy a comfortable ride on any type of road surface. The chassis has not been lowered ensuring that the Volvo XC60 R-Design maintains its ground clearance for off-road adventures.
The more direct steering gear ratio also significantly improves the driving experience. Owing to faster steering response, the driver benefits from a more nimble feel and more precise communication with the road surface.
Refined sports styling
On the outside, the new car features the typical R-Design attributes already seen on the C30 SportsCoupe, S40 saloon, V50 Sportswagon, V70 premium estate and XC90 SUV R-Design models. Exterior highlights include door mirror housings, trim mouldings and décor trim all in matte silk metal finish, rear skid-plate, side scuff plates and twin chrome tailpipes. The 18" five-spoke Cratus aluminium wheels are only available on the R-Design model and, for the first time, an option of 20-inch alloy wheels can be specified on the XC60.
The lower section of the car is also colour-matched to the rest of the body, instead of the matte black trim found on the standard S, SE and SE Lux models. This creates the impression that the car sits closer to the ground giving it a more dynamic look - even though ground clearance remains unchanged.
Inside the car, a metal finish is the dominant theme, with aluminium inserts in the steering wheel, door mouldings and the centre stack. The sports pedals are made of brushed aluminium, with rubber inserts for precise grip, feel and control. The steering wheel is trimmed with perforated leather and features the engraved R-Design emblem offering the driver a constant reminder of the car's dynamic driving properties.
The dark centre stack features a décor with a circular pattern that expands outwards in a dynamic way. This pattern reoccurs in the striping on the seats. Furthermore, the seats are available with the choice of two colour combinations, either light beige with black accents or black with light beige accents.
To give better cornering support and increased comfort in the front seats, both have been given an advanced sport seat design with two firmness levels in the backrest and seat cushions, thus providing a body hugging yet comfortable seating position.
- Grille in silk metal finish with R-Design badge
- Door mirror housings in silk metal finish
- Five-spoke 18-inch aluminium wheels - Cratus (20 inch optional)
- Sill mouldings in aluminium look
- Twin chromed tailpipes
- Colour-matched lower body mouldings
- Chrome-plated rear skid-plate with black mesh
- Sport chassis
- 7 body colours to choose between including the R-Design unique colour Passion Red
- Embossed R-Design emblem in the front backrests
- Watch Dial instrument with blue gauges, unique to the R-Design model
- R-Design sports steering wheel trimmed in perforated leather
- Sports pedals in aluminium
- R-Design centre stack trim with a new décor pattern
- Gear selector trimmed with perforated leather
- Off-black sports mats
- Unique upholstery in smooth leather with a choice of two colour combinations: off-black with soft beige inserts or vice versa
- Sport seats for great cornering support and comfort